+1 727-463-0171 joemain@mainelectricllc.com

PUSH A BUTTON AN SAVE MONEY

Don’t call for repair until you check the button, It happens a lot.Electricians have those service calls require only the push of a button or the flip of a switch to restore power.That costs the homeowner a minimum service charge ( typically $50 to $100 )plus embarrassment.Here’s how to make sure that it doesn’t happen to you.The bathroom outlets and the exterior outlets are powered through a GFCI and all it takes is to push a button an you can be back in business.When the lights go out or a switch doesn’t work check the main electrical panel for tripped breaker All disposers have an over load feature that automatically shuts off the power. Simply push the reset button under the disposal.So call an electrician an they should walk it through with you.

 

PREVENT HOME FIRES

Avoid a few common mistakes to drastically reduce your risk. 1 Cooking fires,never leave the kitchen while something is on the stove,keep combustibles at least 3 ft away from the cook top.This includes curtains and wall hangings.If a fire starts,slip a lid over the flames. Don’t touch the pan,many grease fires become full scale house fires when a pan is carried through the house. 2 Wood stoves and space heaters, keep  space heaters at least 5 ft away from drapes,bedding and other flammables.Plug space heaters directly into outlets,not into extension cords. Don,t use space heaters sleeping.Empty wood stove ashes in to metal container. Have chimney inspected every year.3 Replace extension cords that are undersized or frayed, never run extension cords under rugs, Check all the light bulbs in your home to make sure the bulb wattages don’t exceed the fixture’s recommended maximum. Use common sense to prevent home fires.

LIGHTNING

Your home is probably the safest place to be in an electrical storm.But lightning can still get to you though the conductive paths in your home, your wiring ,your plumbing and water.Talking on a corded phone ,taking a shower or bath,working on your desktop computer , working with power tools during an electrical storm is not much safer than standing outside.Stay away from all water and appliances until the storm  passes.

KNOW YOUR ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

Your home electrical system is a minor miracle.It has one of the most dangerous forces in the universe and distributes it safely throughout your home,making every minute of your day more convenient. Electricity runs through underground or overhead power lines to an electrical meter, which measures your power use and tells the power company how much to charge you. From there it goes to your main panel,incoming wires are connected to dozens of smaller wires that snake throughout your house.General purpose and dedicated circuits,each of which serves a single high-demand purpose.The main panel is the gray or tan box located in the garage , basement or utility room.Behind the door you will see a main breaker,which will turn your hole house off, an smaller breakers which are your circuit throughout your home, breakers are the most important safety feature of your home’s electrical system.

IT’S DEADLY

What, carbon monoxide or co, it’s a  colorless, odorless  gas that makes you sick ,then puts you to sleep and then kills you. Its a normal byproduct of combustion, so it’s produced by anything that burns fuel.Unless your home runs on entirely on electricity,it’s in your home Here how to protect your family.CO is produced by anything that runs on fuel:gas water heaters,heaters,oil furnaces,wood stoves,gasoline engines,kerosene heaters…if it burns it emits co.The early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning resembles those of the flu.If anyone is experiencing headaches,dizziness,fatigue or vomiting, get everybody out of the house and call 911.Open your doors and windows to thoroughly ventilate the home Turn off all potential sources of co.Have a pro inspect all your fuel  sources,appliances and chimneys to make sure they’re operating an vented correctly. So install or replace your co detectors asap.Locate them in halls near bedrooms but at least 15 ft. away from fuel burning appliances. CO is roughly the same weight as air, so it neither rises to the ceiling nor sink to the floor.CO detectors only have a five  to seven year life so read the date on the back of the detector be safe. If you have small children, consider buying a talking co detector